For most people, achieving a healthy, beautiful smile is the reason for choosing to receive orthodontic care. If you’re self-conscious about your smile, having braces will greatly improve the way you look and feel. At Elite Dental, our practice is dedicated to making sure that you receive high-quality care.
- 1. What are braces?
- 2. When is orthodontic treatment necessary?
- 3. Benefits of orthodontic treatment
- 4. Types of orthodontic treatment
- 5. Orthodontic treatment procedure
- 6. How long does orthodontic treatment last?
- 7. Do braces hurt?
- 8. Do I need my teeth removed for my braces?
- 9. Why choose Elite Dental?
1. What are braces?
Orthodontic treatment or braces are a specialty that focuses on the development, prevention, and correction of irregularities of the teeth.
Here are some reasons you might need to see an orthodontist:
- Early loss of primary teeth
- Difficulty biting or chewing food
- Mouth breathing
- Overcrowded teeth
- Jaws that shift, protrude, or recede
- Teeth that do not meet or meet abnormally
- Disproportionate jaw
2. When is orthodontic treatment necessary?
Orthodontic treatment isn’t reserved for children. In fact, adults account for a large percentage of orthodontic patients.
For young children, the ideal age for braces is 6 – 12 years old. This is when a child’s permanent teeth start to come in. At the same time, the jaw bone begins its developing process. Therefore, it is important to recognize any deviations in dental and facial development and correct them as soon as possible.
For adults, braces are the solution to enhance the aesthetic of their smiles, create confidence, prevent dental complications, and protect healthy teeth. Adults from 45 – 50 years old and older can benefit from braces as well.
3. Benefits of orthodontic treatment
3.1 Improves bite pattern
Bad bites and misaligned teeth can lead to uneven force distribution and wear patterns in your teeth. This can lead to visible wear and tear of the teeth.
3.2 Improves functionality
People suffering from misaligned teeth may struggle with biting and chewing their food. This can lead to problems such as a limited diet and poor digestion. By correcting misalignments and bite issues, you can eat and digest them properly, which leads to better overall health.
3.3 Enhances oral health
It’s considerably easier to remove plaque and bacteria from the teeth when the toothbrush can reach most of the smooth surfaces of the teeth. Straight teeth are easier to clean and less prone to the risk of trauma and hygiene issues such as tooth decay or gum diseases.
3.4 Increases confidence
Orthodontic treatment can benefit you psychologically and increase your confidence. Braces put your teeth back into their correct position and boost your confidence soars through the roof.
3.5 Changes your facial structure
Not only can braces correct your dental deviations, but they can also surely change your facial structure. Orthodontic treatments might change or improve your jaw bone. They help to create a more symmetrical smile and face.
4. Types of orthodontic treatment
Invisalign is a type of clear removable aligner that gradually straightens your teeth. Unlike more traditional metal braces, Invisalign is made of clear plastic and is nearly invisible. It usually comes in a series and each consecutive aligner moves teeth ever so slightly towards your goal of complete alignment.
- They are removable, they can be taken out when eating or when cleaning the teeth.
- They are the most aesthetically pleasing method.
- They are made of medical-grade material.
- They are suitable for all most everyone.
- They are the most expensive treatment option
4.2 Metal braces
Metal braces are the most common type of braces. These braces are made of high-grade stainless steel.
- They are the least expensive treatment option.
- They are suitable for many, if not all types of dental deviations.
- They can be visually noticeable and unremovable.
- They can cause problems when eating or cleaning teeth.
- They are not suitable for people with metal allergies.
4.3 Ceramic braces
They are similar to metal braces, but they use transparent or tooth-colored brackets instead of stainless steel brackets. Tooth-colored or clear brackets are attached to the teeth with the help of similarly colored or transparent wires and rubber bands.
- They are more aesthetically pleasing than metal braces.
- They are suitable with all most everyone.
- They can break and chip easily.
- They are more expensive than metal braces.
4.4 Growth guidance appliances
This is an orthodontic instrument that corrects the devastating effects of mouth-breathing on the development of a child’s face, airway, and jaw joints. This method is best for children from 6 to 12 years old. After wearing a growth guidance appliance, fixed braces or Invisalign are recommended to correct bite pattern problems.
- They can restructure a child’s facial and oral position.
- They are the first installment for any later orthodontic treatment.
4.5 Self-ligating braces
They consist of a bracket and wire system.
However, they do not use rubber bands. Instead, they make use of a sliding bracket mechanism with “doors” or “clips” that attach to the wire.
- They are more aesthetically pleasing and easier to clean than traditional braces.
- They can reduce visits to the dental office.
- They are more expensive than traditional braces.
5. Orthodontic treatment procedure
5.1 Your initial appointment
At your first appointment, your dentist will examine your mouth and request X-ray films, if needed. Your dentist will discuss with you your treatment plan and estimated treatment length.
5.2 Molding process
Whether you get traditional braces or Invisalign, the next step is to make an accurate mold. To do that, your orthodontist will take an impression of your teeth. Either you’ll bite down on a tray of soft impression material for a few minutes, or your orthodontist may take a digital scan of your mouth.
5.3 Creating your orthodontic device
Depends on the type of orthodontic treatment you receive, this step can be different. For traditional braces, the orthodontic device will be placed in your mouth on the same visit. For Invisalign, after your teeth impression is taken, it can take 3-4 weeks to create your aligners. After that, either your dentist will instruct you or help you place the Invisalign in your mouth.
5.4 Follow-up appointments
These routine visits allow your dentist to check your progress and make any needed adjustments during your treatment time.
5.5 Maintain your new smile
Once you complete your treatment, your orthodontic device will be removed. Retainers are often recommended to wear for 1-2 years to help you protect your new smile.
6. How long does orthodontic treatment last?
The length of orthodontic treatment varies from patient to patient. While some problems take less time to treat than others, the average orthodontic treatment lasts around two years. Here are some ways you can speed up your time in braces:
- Stay on schedule with appliances and appointments.
- Maintain your oral hygiene.
- Avoid things that could cause damage such as certain foods, drinks, or bad habits.
7. Do braces hurt?
Within a few hours after getting braces, you will begin to develop some pain and soreness in your teeth and gums. This pain will probably last about a week. However, once your teeth get used to the feeling of your new braces, you shall feel no pain at all.
8. Do I need my teeth removed for my braces?
The doctor may suggest adult teeth removal for several reasons, but the main one is to make room so that the treatment device can bring your teeth back into alignment. You can schedule an appointment with Elite Dental to find out if you need teeth removed for your orthodontic treatment.
9. Why choose Elite Dental?
Elite Dental is one of the most renowned dental clinics in Ho Chi Minh City. As a specialized dental clinic, we have a team of in-house orthodontic experts. Our dentists are highly experienced, and we have a record of several successful cases. Elite Dental has been the only Platinum Invisalign Provider in Vietnam since 2012.
Because our patients’ experiences are our top priority, we equipped ourselves with state-of-the-art dental equipment and technology, including the advanced 3D Trios Scan, ClinCheck digital prediction system for Invisalign treatment, Sinora imaging machine, etc.
With Elite Dental, you can feel confident knowing that we care for honesty and professionalism throughout your entire care with us.
Below is the price list of different orthodontic treatments for your reference. Please feel free to contact us for a consultation with more information!
|Metal braces||50,000,000 – 65,000,000 VND|
|Ceramic braces||65,000,000 – 80,000,000 VND|
|MEAW (multiloop edgewise archwire)||70,000,000 – 80,000,000 VND|
|Invisalign||62,500,000 – 137,500,000 VND|
Detailed advice on costs and treatment plans
If you’re unsure if you require orthodontic treatment, please contact us today. At Elite Dental, our specialists will create an orthodontic treatment plan that suits your needs and leaves you with a beautiful smile, no matter how old you are.